Skip to main content

Labor Day Weekend

4-day weekend = 4 days of riding in a row.

Nothing was easy about these rides.  I miss my cardio.  I miss my ability to climb.  I am thrilled that I was able to ride 4 days in a row.  Haven't done that in a long time, plus after the work week last week, it was fantastic to not have to be there Friday and instead have a little fun.  The weather has almost been perfect.  Still a little too hot, but sunny days every day!!!!

Friday - drove and parked near the Blue Ridge Parkway - did a 17.5mile out and back kind of ride.

Saturday - 22.23 miles starting at home.  Kept running into obstructions to my ride, greenway closure due to a 5k race, a hill that I totally forgot about and ended up walking up half of it, and another road closure on the way home. Used parts of 3 different greenways.

Sunday - 22.26 miles starting at home again.  Went another direction this day - cut through a cemetary and a business park. Used another greenway and rode adjacent to a gravel one on this day.  This ride was a good route for the most part.

Monday - 13.93 - gravel ride (mountain bike) - total out and back on the fireroad at the Cove.  Passed many singletrack options, but decided to stick to the plan.  Ended up being a fantastic ride.  I took my iPod along so I got to enjoy my tunes and sang along a few times.

Back to work tomorrow.  Meh!  There's a lot going on and I will be busy, so hopefully the days go by quickly!  Next Saturday I plan to park at the New River Valley Mall and ride the Huckleberry Trail to the football game at Virginia Tech - hopefully no one steals my bike during the game.  I've scoped out Google map view and there looks like a bike rack right at the police station so I will look to lock it there first.  I've looked forward to try this adventure for over a year now!  I'll be sure to take some pictures along the way.

Meanwhile, here's a couple from the weekend.

Friday - BRP, my bike and hayyyyy!

Monday - ROJO!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Busy, but haven't forgotten that I owe ya'll a post or two

I've been busy with holiday stuff... Let's see in the while I've been away from my blog.. I painted 4 rooms in my house, replaced 7 mini-blinds... I've been to Knoxville and back for the Garth Brooks concert.  Overall, it was ok.  I've seen much better Garth shows, but it was cool to be in Neyland at night with all of those people. UT needs to figure out it's ADA plan post show though - that's a joke and a long story.  One that is longer than I have time for right now. Decorated for the Christmas - I'll have to do a separate post about my Lego village. Been to Richmond, VA and back to pick up cakes for my birthday and holidays. Did a birthday bike ride for the first time in 2 years. Hoping to do the annual Christmas Light Tour ride in Grandin on Wednesday - weather permitting. The rain and cold and probably wind will return this week. Anyway, I'll be back to post more soon as oh ya, I signed up for The Appalachian Journey - ...

Zwift and FTP Builder

Trying a 6-week program on Zwift called FTP Builder.  I did the short FTP test a week ago and the result was 160.  I've done three rides in the program so far.  None have felt tremendously hard.  I know that high (at least for me) cadence hurts my hip at about 3.5 minutes so I had to back off of that a bit.  My thoughts about the rides are below. Jen Divers 31 mins · FTP builder ride 3, I’m sweating during these rides; but surely doesn’t feel like a hard effort. Maybe 1.5-1.6wt/kg. Only three rides in and I’m wondering if this is going to help me. I guess it’s base building. So lost with trying to get stronger. Previously injuries were all upper extremity so I could at least run and ride a stationary bike. Three months of nothing followed by four of not too strenuous; then a year of rebuilding. Now to figure out more cardio, flexibility and strength training more. Anything beats nothing. I look so forward to spring riding weather. S...

The ER. Xray and introducing Builder Bob

In walks the ER doctor, “hey, what did you do, where are you from?” I crashed my bike, I probably broke my hip, I whacked my head but never lost consciousness ma’am. She, of course looked at my helmet - a few scratches, small dent but otherwise intact. Yay Giro for making good stuff and yay for a hard head. No headache so that was good. She checked other parts, nope nothing else just hip pain, some road rash on the same, both knees scraped a bit and a scrape on left elbow. During our meeting the doctor shared with me that she was a graduate of VCOM (the DO school in Blacksburg) and that she had done a brief rotation at CRMH where I worked for many years. Her name was familiar but we saw so many residents and students it would be impossible to remember them all unless they stood out for good reasons or bad. My old ER friends may remember her - Jessica Flinchum. She was super nice and friendly. Soon I was whisked away to X-ray by my ER nurse. I expressed to the nurse that I w...